The Centre des opérations gouvernementales (COG) (in French only) in the ministère de la Sécurité publique monitors events that may jeopardize public safety. It informs and alerts the municipal and governmental interveners concerned to ensure that action is taken quickly if need be.
The municipalities and government departments and bodies elaborate plans to deal with repeated or documented risks and the management of emergencies. The plans are tested during exercises organized, in particular, by municipal or regional civil protection organizations or by the Organisation de la sécurité civile du Québec.
Several statutes and regulations structure government action with respect to prevention, preparation and response to disaster, including the following:
- Civil Protection Act
- Public Health Act;
- Sustainable Development Act
- Environment Quality Act
- Act respecting land use planning and development
- Dam Safety Act
- Act respecting occupational health and safety
- Transportation of Dangerous Substances Regulation
- Regulation respecting environmental impact assessment and review
- Protection Policy for Lakeshores, Riverbanks, Littoral Zones and Floodplains
- Québec Construction Code
Other useful link