Dispose of your residual materials

Dispose of your residual materials appropriately, based on what they are. Please address your questions about managing residual materials to your municipality.

Sand bags

If your sand bags are clearly contaminated (for example if they smell bad), take them back to your municipality.

If the sand bags you used to protect your house are not contaminated, you can either

  • keep them intact and store them for future use, or
  • return them to your municipality for appropriate disposal.

Your municipality will announce spot collection of uncontaminated bags in poor condition that cannot be reused, or specific temporary drop-off sites from which the bags will be shipped to processing and/or reclamation facilities. Your municipality may also notify residents if these bags can be set out for selective municipal collection.

You may also keep the sand itself for your personal use or contact your municipality for instructions on how to dispose of it.

This type of stored sand is never to be used for children’s sandboxes and similar play areas, since such sand is required to be certified free from organic, toxic or hazardous matter.

Non-hazardous residual materials

Dispose of non-salvageable food as usual. Compost if you can. Salvageable demolition debris such as wood, metal or aggregates should be sent to a sorting or ecocentre. Non-reusable electronic devices should be taken to a collection centre

Contact your municipality about what to do with the following:

  • Non-salvageable water-damaged demolition debris (porous materials, carpets, insulation, drywall panels, etc.)
  • Various recyclable or non-recyclable debris washed up on your land
  • Water-damaged non-salvageable furniture and other household items such as mattresses, clothing, plush toys, cutting boards, etc.
  • Non-reusable appliances such as stoves, freezers, washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc.

Additional information is available on the website of the Ministère de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques: http://www.mddelcc.gouv.qc.ca/accessibilite/matieres.htm.

Hazardous residual materials

Expired or water-damaged medications should be taken to a pharmacy

Hazardous household waste such as gasoline, fuel oil, pesticides, aerosols, solvents, etc. can be taken to your local ecocentre. Other types of hazardous domestic waste such as batteries, mercury bulbs, paint and paint containers, oil and electronics can be delivered to a collection centre. For details, please read the information on hazardous domestic waste (in French) on the RECYC-QUÉBEC website: https://www.recyc-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/sites/default/files/documents/Fiche-info-rdd.pdf.

Special attention is needed in dealing with water-damaged pool chemicals, which react with water and may emit unpleasant or even toxic fumes. Report all such occurrences to your municipality’s fire prevention department and immediately call the Urgence-Environnement environmental emergency service at 1 866 694-5454 to report spills or accidental air emissions.

Source : Ministère de l'Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques - May 2017​​​​​​

Social media

Urgence Québec Twitter page

Urgence Québec Facebook page

Publications Facebook