Residual materials

Dispose of your residual materials appropriately, based on what they are. Please address your questions about managing residual materials to your municipality.

Sand bags

Unless there is evident contamination, for example a foul odour, sand bags should be dealt with in accordance with the 3R principle (reuse, reduce, and recycle). The following solutions follow the 3R sequential order:

  • This type of stored sand is never to be used for children’s sandboxes and similar play areas, since such sand is required to be certified free from organic, toxic or hazardous matter
  • Keep and store sand bags for future use
  • Ship sand bags and bulk sand to a sand pit for future use
  • Have the municipal roads department keep the sand for winter use as an abrasive
  • Use the sand for landfill capping
  • Municipal spot collection or specific temporary drop-off points can be set up for uncontaminated bags in poor condition that cannot be reused, which can then be shipped to processing and/or reclamation facilities. Municipalities may also inform residents if such bags can be set out for selective municipal collection
  • As a final option, landfill disposal of bulk sand or sand bags may be envisaged.

Sand bags that show evident signs of contamination must be disposed of at an engineered landfill, stored for subsequent characterization or processed to determine their potential future use. If this latter option is used, the municipality must contact the regional MDDELCC office for information about the criteria that must be met.

Non-hazardous residual materials

  • Salvageable demolition debris such as wood, metal or aggregates should be sent to a sorting or ecocentre
  • Non-salvageable water-damaged demolition debris (porous materials, carpets, insulation, drywall panels, etc. must be disposed of at a construction or demolition debris landfill or engineered landfill
  • Unless recyclable, mixed washed-up debris must be disposed of at an engineered landfill
  • Water-damaged non-salvageable furniture and other household items such as mattresses, clothing, plush toys, cutting boards, etc. must be disposed of at an engineered landfill
  • Non-reusable appliances such as stoves, freezers, washers and dryers must be sent to a metal reclamation enterprise or ecocentre. Refrigerators must be sent to a reclamation enterprise that can appropriately manage coolant gas.
  • Non-reusable electronic devices should be brought to a collection centre.

Additional information is available on the website of the Ministère de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques:

Hazardous residual materials

  • Expired or water-damaged medications must be taken to a pharmacy
  • Hazardous household waste such as gasoline, fuel oil, pesticides, aerosols, solvents, etc. can be taken to the local ecocentre. Other types of hazardous domestic waste such as batteries, mercury bulbs, paint and paint containers, oil and electronics can be delivered to a collection centre. For details, please read the information on hazardous domestic waste (in French) on the RECYC-QUÉBEC website:
  • Special attention is needed in dealing with water-damaged pool chemicals, which react with water and may emit unpleasant or even toxic fumes. All such occurrences must be reported to the municipality’s fire prevention department. Spills or accidental air emissions must be immediately reported to the Urgence-Environnement environmental emergency service at 1 866 694-5454

Industrial, business and institutional hazardous residual materials management

  • Some types of hazardous residual materials may be accepted at your local ecocentre as domestic hazardous waste. Batteries, mercury bulbs, paint and paint containers, oil and electronics should instead be sent to a collection centre
  • If this is not feasible, they should be outsourced to an authorized hazardous residual materials specialist. If needed, you may use the following search tool to locate accredited hazardous residual materials specialists in your area:
    Immediately report all spills and accidental air emissions to Urgence-Environnement at 1 866 694-5454.

Source : ministère de l'Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques - May 2017​​​​​​​​​

Social media

Urgence Québec Twitter page

Urgence Québec Facebook page

Publications Facebook